Friday, January 06, 2006

The government forces me to learn the harmonica, so now I break laws.

Was reading this interesting article about a deaf man and his love of music, specifically Ravel's Boléro.

I know what your thinking now. Hold up, hold up... you high Thao? Why are you spitting oxymorons in my face? You frontin'? You trying to get loco? Are there bees in your beer?

No. Article here.
Michael Chorost was born with partial hearing, and at 15, he discovered that Boléro was audible to him, and it became a touchstone for him, a piece of music that he developed a deep emotional attachment to. In 2001, Chorost experienced the sudden, total loss of the remains of his hearing, and Boléro was lost to him, seemingly forever.

The article chronicles his journey in 'fixing' his cochlear implant so he could hear Boléro nearly as well as he used to. That's dedication right there.

1 Comments:

Blogger anon said...

Happy New Year Thao!! I'm using your comment section to announce my triumphant return to blogging. (read: I won't ignore you anymore.)
--M

11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home