Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Anatomy of a Donkey Kong

I recently caught a small flick called King Kong, and it was epic.

But not in the sense that Peter jackson wanted. It spans. It's elongated. It's friggin 3 hours long. I know Mr Jackson has dreamed of remaking King Kong for how many Hobbit years he has been alive, but the man indulged hard. Hardcore hard. Triple X hard. It takes them 45 minutes to reach the island where Kong resides. "That's cool", I hear you say, "he's using that time to build up character". Poppycock! There is nearly zero character building. A love story is squeezed in for no purpose at all. You can all go ask Crackers bout a Ol'Jimmy, the character who is on the cusp of being something to the story. It's like Peter Jackson had to spend the wads of greenbacks they were throwing at him, so he spent it on random scenes he picked out of a (hobbit) hat.

The movie is good though. Not earth shattering but watchable. When we do actually get to see Kong (Crackers, at this point, wandered if King Kong was even in the movie), the pace picks ups for the better. P.J even shows echoes of his horror beginnings, with a gruesome giant insect scene. The special effects are top notch, except for one scene where the actors don't even look like they are in the same place with the dino's, who are "bowling pinning" around them. King Kong, though, is a stupendous success for the animators. He exudes so much character, for a thing that doesn't even talk. A lift of an eyebrow, the stunted laughter he emits. It's easy to like him, even when he's throwing people around like raggy dolls. He has real heart.

The story is a simple one: man's greed can destroy innocence. Anybody can understand it. Peter Jackson has made it more complicated than it should be. Simple story's don't like being complicated. It is a great story, with a very real message. If He left out the the first 45 mins, taken out the love story (between actress and writer), the movie would have benefited immensely. I would have liked it more.

Now, where's my remake of Donkey Kong?

-----------

Today was my dad's birthday (20th of dec). He came and sat next to me and asked me, "Do you want anything? If you do, just ask me. I've got some money I've been saving". I said no and walked away to hide my face.

Silly dad.

All I've ever wanted is for you to be happy. Without burdens. Without sadness. I wish could take care of you properly. I wish I could give you everything you ever wanted

1 Comments:

Blogger still_figuring_out said...

i`m going to watch it this friday :)

happy b`day to your dad!

6:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home