Monday, September 12, 2005

the most remarkable thing about you standing in the doorway is that it's you and that you are standing in the doorway

The lights are dim, the bar is filling up, and the lingering smell of tobacco hangs in the static air of the pub. I settle down for an "intimate" gig with the Mountain Goats. A band that have only recently caught my attention when the phenomenal track "This Year" assaulted my ears. Their lyrics have a remarkable "story-telling" quality to it. The songs shimmer with real experiences. Great songs from a great band.

The big suprise was a delightful performance from a support act with the curious name of "Scout Niblett". And when i say delightful, I mean completely off tap mental. She sounds like a much rawer Cat Power. Her songs start off exuding a quiet, hopeless vulnerability, then erupting into a throat-bruising rock star meltdown, with drums, distortion, and anarchic coherence. Her voice wielded raw emotions like a cracking whip. It was like a heartbroken soul was dismembering itself before my very ears. I lapped it up to the full.

Quicky is gone, but I don't think it'll fully hit me until I go to the pub and realize that smartarse ain't coming. Bah! Have a good one mate. See you soon

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Freshening up the place
New logo, new column array, same content. I thought the blog needed a little dusting off.
Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

I have a ##online work## site/blog. It pretty much covers ideas on how to make money online, plus other related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

3:13 AM  
Blogger Thaozee said...

Your robotic sentiments leave me with a fuzzy feeling, anonymous spam thing.

3:20 AM  
Blogger still_figuring_out said...

lol on you response to the spam!
and "It was like a heartbroken soul was dismembering itself before my very ears"? cannot be more specific than that!

12:07 PM  
Blogger anon said...

Hey! Nice blog! Keep up the good work, cause I totally bookmarked it! Anyway, just thought you might be interested in some more information about Erectile Disfunction! You'd be surprised how many remedies are currently available for this common ailment. If you're anything like me, then this site will really help you out!!
--M

10:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home