Tuesday, May 09, 2006

I say old bean, fuck you


Look at Jeeves smiling in the background.

Working at farms, I'm getting used to immigration officers visiting unannounced. I've seen 4-5 raids now in my time. Sometimes the farm owners warn people (at a considerable risk to themselves). But mostly they can't do a thing. Some owners even call the authorities, hoping that they would not have to pay the 'illegal' workers. A person pretending to speak spanish would call them a "bastido", or in the lesser known language of english, a bastard.

I'm always amused when they come to talk to me. My accent is the Australian equivalent to the Texas drawl. One could indeed call it the Australian drawl. Also, one could then punch me in the face for dragging out that fact about my accent into no less than 3 sentences.

Whatever people think of 'illegals' and their apparent 'stealing of jobs', it's interesting when you talk to farm owners about their views. Most farmers I've talked to have the same view. If there were no 'illegals' and backpackers working the fields, then most likely no one would do it. The pay ain't great and it's back breaking labour. They estimate that a large percentage of their workers are 'illegals'. If that amount suddenly all vanish, they would lose alot. It's an interesting situation.

Anyway, I'm gonna go shout "I spekka no england" to the officers to see if that pistol whip me. Maybe they'll send me back to my own country, in which case, a free holiday. I really hope I look Fijian. Everyone back to my holiday hut for sex on the beach and sex on the beach.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home