Sunday, December 11, 2005

The other Coppola

I'm a big fan of Sofia Coppola's work. Which really only amounts to two movies. "The Virgin Suicides" was a stunning debut for her. A sad, dream-like movie, with an awesome Air soundtrack. I was suprised I could stomach the storyline, considering the subject matter. It didn't effect me like I thought it would. The scene where the sisters are playing sad records over the phone to the next door neighbours always breaks my heart. I also enjoyed her second movie, "Lost in translation". I quiet, almost slow film, once again dealing with loneliness. The only bit I didn't really like was the "lip my stocking". Kinda stupid part. Once again, the soundtrack was great. And Scarlett Johansson is hot. ssssssssssss

I just saw the trailer to her 3rd feature film, based on the story of Marie Antoinette. A period film, that stars Kirsten Dunst (who I do not like, cept in "The Virgin Suicides") as the doomed queen. The strange thing about the trailer is that the song playing over it is a New Order song (one of my faves). You know, popular 80's pop band New Order. Can we say period piece with neo-pop sentimentalities? Somehow I sniff a trace of John Hughes in this trailer... wierd. Maybe it's the 80's looking title splash.

Anyway, here's the trailer (you'll need a fast internet connection)

Sofia Coppola is still a crap actor. Godfather III memories... gah!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home