Saturday, July 30, 2005

4:24am Title change: I'll meet you half way to the sky, between Sigur Ros and Beth Gibbons..

Yesterday I woke up and found my throat in flames. Like a million emo kids were prodding it with tridents (yes, I know...I get paid in dollars, but I make no sense). I somehow convinced myself that I had lost my voice, and stumbled around the house for an hour answering people only with nods and hand gestures, not daring say anything.

It's always the quiet nights that get ya. I only wanted to catch up with some mates....
But how did I end up sitting on a bench at 4:30am, with 2 other idiots, scanning the movie listings for a movie playing at that time? (While jazz flute songs were wafting out of the car stereo)
How did I end up at 7-Eleven (at 5:30am) mulling over a decision to either buy a hot chicken roll, or get a king size sausage roll & a can of "V"? (I got the Chicken Roll, or "Salmonella Roll", as my friend aptly calls them)
How did I end up offering strange bogans, in the middle of some back street, if they need help pushing their car? (6:00am)
How did I end up watching Bryan 'I LOVE M.A.S.H' Cain (6:30am) throw up Niagra fricken falls? ("I swear it was the stomach ulceeeer")
How did I end up at Eastland Shopping Centre (8:00am), waiting for Safeway (or was it Coles?) to open, knowing perfectly well that the one near my house is open 24/7?
How did I end up being amongst the first people into the Dorset Gardens Pokies area when it opens at 9:00am?
How did I end up watching Bryan 'SCIMITAAAAR' Cain win nearly $200 on the pokies machine, while the morning birds were chirping at me?

If I didn't bail when they were going to the op-shop (at 10:00am), who knows what would've happened... There was talk of pool, go-karts, city...

I have a place I away to, when I need a place to think and be moody. It's nothing too special. No special land behind strange wardrobes for me. It's the carpark of my local Safeways. I have this carpark lamp I usually park under that faces the main road. Often, I can be found here at night (if anyone's looking for me), sitting on the bonnet of my car and smoking a cigarette while pondering over random shit. This may sound silly, but I enjoy watching the cars go up and down this road. Since the road is straight for quite awhile, I imagine the lone cars driving pass are going somewhere far, far away. Somewhere else but here. I imagine myself one day on this road driving somewhere distant. ...and the world will swallow me whole.. Yeh, I'm a kid sometimes. Naive imagination.
The illusion kinda ends as fast as it materializes though, as I know full well where this road goes.
I wonder where other people go to be alone or get away from the "hustle bustle"?

When they find me, slumped over a table
At the age of 21
Will they blame it on old age?

1 Comments:

Blogger malachi trizec said...

& i thought i was the only one that likes traffic: i sometimes take the subway downtown in the middle of the night just to sit on the war monument in front of the old city hall & watch the cars go by

11:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home