Friday, August 18, 2006

There's movement in the hills

Who was the first person to truly move you? Someone who made you see beyond your meager boundaries. The leg up to see over the hills.

I knew a girl once. When I was 15. She was a year older than me. A runaway, living with her friends. She was not a super hot goddess or a person of stupendous intelligence. Quite plain now that I think back. She had a small, sing-song voice. Like bells. And the most remarkable eyes. The phrase "dancing eyes" is an apt description. They were her wells, and they sucked in her surroundings. It seemed like she was always seeing things from above, like watching from a mountain. A glass pane, behind a glass pane, behind a glass pane... and laughter and defiance behind. She would draw those remarkable things towards you, and stare earnestly. She had a habit of staring that way for just a tiny bit too long, and it felt like she had slipped a hand under your shirt. We were friends and companions. But nothing as concrete as boyfriend and girlfriend. I was more her student, and she the unknowing teacher. I idolized her. It was like finding fire for the first time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home